Vehicle Search
Country Select
Australia New Zealand
Vehicle Type
No. of Passengers
Pick up location (show map)
Pick up date
 Pick a date
Pick up time
Drop off place (show map)
Drop off date
 Pick a date
Drop off time


Frequently Asked Questions Website

The prices you offer are often lower than on other websites – is there a catch?

When you book your holiday with us, you can expect low prices, excellent customer service and top quality vehicles. We have been specialising in holiday vehicle rentals for over fifteen years, and since we handle a large number of bookings and don’t produce expensive travel brochures, we are able to pass on the savings to you!

How can I make sure I have access to the best possible prices?

Generally, the earlier you book, the better your price is going to be – this particularly applies to Flex Rates or those hire vehicle suppliers that offer an ‘Early Bird Discount’ [e.g. when you place a booking a long time in advance; see details for hire companies that offer this]. We recommend you use our price comparison module to get an instant price comparison or company-specific quote that our sophisticated reservation system will automatically quote you for.

I want to talk to – can I contact you by telephone?

Yes, you can and we would be delighted to talk to you personally. Customers who do not feel comfortable about booking their holiday on the internet, can call our travel gurus to obtain helpful advice, more detailled information and friendly service. Visit the Contacts page for all contact information.

How can I contact after business hours? Business Hours
Monday to Friday 08.00 AM to 17.00 PM
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed
Closed Easter, Christmas Day, New Years Day
If you need to to report an accident, you must contact the vehicle supplier directly. Please use contact details provided in your confirmation email should you need to contact selfdriveOZ after hours.

About the campervans and where to take them

What is the right vehicle for me?

This depends very much on your travel plans; if you look for a roomy, comfortable ‘home away from home’ or you intend to travel with your family or a group of friends, then a motorhome would be your best option. Should your priority be on an economical and smaller vehicle, typically a 2-berth campervan would be ideal. And, if the vast, remote Outback areas of Australia is your dream destination, then a 4WD vehicle is essential. Generally, it is a good idea to book a vehicle that has got one bed more than there are people in your party as this provides you with some extra space on your journey.

A word on 4WD vehicles

Generally, 4WD vehicles do not handle like standard passenger cars. They are designed for on as well as off road conditions and have a high centre of gravity, a short wheel base and a narrow tread. Handling, breaking, cornering and high speed driving characteristics differ greatly from standard passenger cars. For those driving a 4WD for the first time, we recommend that you take particular care on the first few days of your trip – familiarise yourself with the vehicle, drive slowly and take it easy. It is recommended that you always engage 4WD when travelling on unsealed roads, over sandy, gravel or outback tracks.

Is a Campervan difficult to drive?

Campervans are very similar to a car to drive. Over many years experience we have found few drivers who haven't easily adjusted to even driving the larger 4- or 6-berth vehicles.

What is supplied with my hire vehicle?

Each vehicle is supplied with complete living equipment [such as bedding, cooking equipment, pots, pans, crockery, cutlery bath and tea towels]. Also provided are comprehensive maps and camp ground guides.

We recommend that you use soft bags instead of suitcases for your luggage. Soft bags take up less room and fit easier into storage cupboards and lockers in your hire vehicle.

Can I hire vehicles with automatic transmission?

Various campervan models are available with automatic transmission – please refer to technical specifications applicable for each hire company presented on this website.

How long does the battery system last?

Most Campervans are equipped with a dual or twin battery system. This means that the engine battery is separate from the battery system used for internal appliances, such as fridge, lights and water pump.

The appliance battery system will last between 12 and 24 hours when fully charged. The batteries only recharge when you drive the vehicle. Because the engine battery is separate, you will still be able to start the engine and drive should you have flattened the second battery.

All vehicles [except some 4WD Campervans] have the facility to plug into electricity. When you plug into electricity at a caravan park, all appliances automatically run off 240V electricity rather than drawing power from the vehicle’s battery system. You can then use appliances such as the television, microwave, internal lighting and rear air-conditioning which only run off mains power but not off the battery system.

How old are the campervans?

The hire vehicles in the premier fleets are up to three years old. After this, vehicles are either sold on to the public or moved into so-called ‘secondary’ fleets. At SelfdriveOZ, we call these attractively priced models the “Budget” choice; the vehicles are rented out and utilised for another three to five years. Please refer to the relevant details on our homepage.

Can a hire company change the vehicle type that I have booked?

If, for reasons beyond a hire company’s control, the reserved vehicle is not available, it can reserve the right to substitute a comparable or superior vehicle at no extra cost to the hirer. This shall not constitute a breach of contract and does not entitle the renter to any form of refund or any other compensation.

Where can I take my hire Campervan? - Australia

Campervans can only be driven on sealed / bitumen or access roads. 4WD's are allowed on recognised 4WD tracks. Special terms and conditions can apply for travel in the following areas [varies between hire companies, please enquire for more specific information]: Cape York Peninsula, Simpson Desert, Gunbarrel Highway, Canning Stock Route, Oondnadatta Track, Birdsville Track, the Laverton - Warburton Road, Tanami Track, Gibb River Road and generally any other area in excess of 100 km from the nearest sealed road. No vehicle is to be taken into salt water; water damage is generally never covered by any insurance option chosen; and full liability remains with the hirer. No animals are permitted inside any hire vehicle. A hire company will always reserve the right to restrict vehicle movements in certain areas due to adverse road or weather conditions, and the distance to nominated destinations in relation to the length of the hire period.

Aboriginal Land - Australia

A permit is required when travelling on roads and tracks through Aboriginal land in Australia. Please contact local land councils / Government organsisations for more and specific information on where permits are essential. Permits must often be requested in advance, ie. they can generally not be obtained on the spot. It is the hirer’s responsibility to obtain these permits; the hire company can not be held responsible if access to an area is denied due to lack of obtaining necessary permission.

Where can I take my hire Campervan or Motorhome? – New Zealand

Campervans can only be driven on sealed / bitumen or access roads. Special terms and conditions can apply for travel in the following areas [varies from one hire company to another, please enquire for more specific information]: Ninety Mile Beach [Northland] and North of Colville Township [Coromandel] – both on North Island. Skippers Canyon [Queenstown] and Ball Hutt Road [Mount Cook] – both on South Island. Other restrictions may apply; at a hire company’s discretion. No vehicle is to be taken into salt water; water damage is generally not covered by any insurance option chosen; full liability remains with the hirer. No animals are permitted inside any hire vehicle. A hire company will always reserve the right to restrict vehicle movements in certain areas due to adverse road or weather conditions, and the distance to nominated destinations in relation to the length of the hire period.

About hiring a campervan and the vehicle hire companies

Are there age restrictions for hiring a campervan?

Most hire companies request that drivers must be 21 years of age or over. If you are over the age of 75 years, a medical certificate may be required at time of vehicle collection, stating that you are medically fit to safely operate a motor vehicle. Details will be advised when you make a booking [you will need to provide SelfdriveOZ with your date of birth].

Do I need a special driver's license?

A valid car driver’s license is to be produced for everyone intending to hire a campervan. Interstate [Australia], Overseas or International Licenses are acceptable, however, the license must be in English characters for depot staff to read and interpret. Should you bring with you a translation of your original driver’s license or an International Driver’s License, please make sure you also have with you the original document as you will not be allowed to drive with a translation or the international license only.

Can the children travel in the back of the Campervan?

Children can only travel in the back of a Campervan when they can utilise a seat belt or child restraint - this varies from vehicle to vehicle. Please note that not all hire vehicles have anchor points to safely secure child restraints – please refer to the vehicle specification list on this website.

Can a baby seat be fitted to a hire vehicle?

Some hire vehicles are equipped with anchor points to which booster and / or baby seats can be secured. There is an extra hire charge for booster and / or baby seats. Please enquire when you make a booking for a campervan holiday.

Where are campervan hire depots located?

Most hire companies have their depots in reasonably central locations that are easy to access. Often, depots are in light industrial areas and frequently, they are closer to an airport than the city centre. Please refer to specific details for each hire company.

What are the depot hours?

Depots are usually open from 8 AM to 4 PM from Monday to Saturday, and 8 AM to 1 PM on Sundays. All rental locations are closed on Christmas Day, Good Friday and Easter Sunday. Please refer to specific details for each hire company.

Is it possible to pick up after hours?

Generally, this is not possible and we recommend you book a night’s accommodation at a comfortable hotel so that your refreshed when you pick-up your rental vehicle the following day.

Can a hire company deliver a vehicle to my hotel?

Hotel deliveries can not be arranged for, it is necessary for you to go to the hire company’s depot to collect your hire vehicle. This guarantees that you can familiarise yourself with the operation of the campervan.

Do I get a transfer to the rental depot?

Some campervan companies provide arrival transfers while others do not [rental car hire companies generally do not include a transfer service at all]. You can see whether transfers are provided for the hire vehicle you wish to book in the 'Pick-up / Drop-off' section on each supplier’s web page listed on this site.

Regardless of whether a transfer is provided, we recommend that you call the rental depot the day before you are due to take delivery of the hire [or early on the pick-up day if your flight arrives in late at night] to finalise your campervan pick-up time. If a transfer is provided you will need to clarify the exact transfer time when you call, as this can vary.

Usually it is easiest for you to take a taxi that will take you straight to the front door of your pick-up location.

Can I pick-up a campervan in one city and drop it off in another?

One-way rentals are generally available between all branch locations a hire company may operate. One-way hires require a minimum rental period and fees may apply [some hire companies do waive such a fee for rentals of 21 days or more].

Those hire companies that operate a depot in Broome may charge a remote location fee; this is charged in addition to one-way fees where applicable.

Please refer to specific information applicable for each hire company presented on this website.

Can I store luggage at a depot while I am touring?

Luggage can be stored at your own risk with most hire companies, but you have to return to the same depot. A forwarding service is not offered by hire companies. Hire companies have made some provision for luggage storage in their campervans, but storage space is obviously limited onboard the vehicles. In your own interest, please don not leave any items of value on view while you're away from the vehicle.

Your personal luggage

It is recommended that you choose ‘soft’ luggage for your holiday instead of hard-cased and bulky suitcases. Campervans only have limited luggage storage space and stowing away bags is considerably easier than a suitcase. Some travellers use the shower / toilet cubicle in a larger van for additional storage space as relevant bathroom facilities at camp grounds and caravan parks are most often clean and comfortable.

Do rental companies have a breakdown service?

Should you require assistance, you can contact a hire company representative 24 hours a day on their telephone helpline. Campervan hire companies usually have a comprehensive network of service agents throughout the country who can assist speedily.

Calculate costs, deposit and final payments, cancellations – All about money!

Completion of an online booking and deposit payment

We will pass on the booking [but not your credit card details] to the rental vehicle suppliers. As soon as we have their electronic confirmation we will send you the SelfdriveOZ confirmation via email, which also contains your invoice. At this point we deduct a deposit from your nominated credit card, a non-refundable deposit payment of AUD or NZD 200 is due at the time of booking. This deposit secures your booking.

Final payment

Payment of the balance of the price of your vehicle hire is due no later than 35 days prior to the date of pick-up of the hire vehicle; this date will be shown on your booking confirmation and invoice. We will charge your nominated credit card 35 days prior to the commencement of the first service you have booked with us. If the balance can not be charged to your credit card 35 days prior to commencement of the hire [e.g. lack of sufficient funds on the card], we reserve the right to treat your booking as cancelled by you. In this case, we will retain your deposit and the cancellation charges as set out below will be payable by you.

Can I prepay the whole hire now?

Please advise SelfdriveOZ if you prefer to pay your campervan holiday in full at the time of booking. Please note that no discount is granted for early payments.

Form of payment

Vehicle rentals booked via this website must be paid by credit card.

Credit Cards

We accept payments by following credit cards: MasterCard, Visa and American Express. A 3% credit card surcharge applies for payments made by American Express.

How do I know my credit card details are safe once I have entered them?
We use proven Secure Sockets Layer [SSL] technology to protect your personal details. SSL is a secure system which is widely used by major banks around the world; it encrypts [encodes] your personal information [such as your name, address and credit card number] so that it is available only to you and to us and can not be intercepted by anyone when your details are transferred to us. Because your details are encrypted with this technology you can be assured that doing business with us over the internet is even more secure than buying over the phone.

Which amounts do I pay to you and what do I pay directly to the rental company?
In broad terms, you book and pay for almost everything with us and this includes the local Goods and Services Taxes [G.S.T.] that apply to anything you purchase with us. The range of inclusions varies depending on which hire vehicle supplier you ask us to book for you. You can view what is included by clicking on the 'Important rental info' section on each supplier’s web page listed on this site. The differences occur for items such as optional insurance supplements, all-inclusive options and vehicle kits.

In Australia, a so-called “Stamp Duty” is sometimes not included in the prices on our website and it then needs to be paid for at the time of pick-up of the hire vehicle. Details will be advised to you in our hire vehicle confirmation.

The list of inclusions and exclusions is also outlined in detail as part of the online quote and is included in the travel documents you will receive from us.

How much is the security bond?

The vehicle bond can vary from one hire company to another; it also depends on the insurance option your are choosing. Please refer to specific details for each hire vehicle company.

What do you mean by ‘calendar days’ when I book my Campervan?

Unlike rental car companies that charge you by the 24-hour clock, campervan companies charge by the ‘calendar day’. So regardless of the actual time of collection and return, you will be charged for the full day you collect and the full day you drop your vehicle off.

Can I combine multiple bookings to get lower rates?

Yes, you can. - If you have multiple bookings with one hire company, these can be combined to give you the benefit of a long term hire discount on all qualifying rentals.

Is there a refund if I shorten my hire while on holiday?

In case you decide to shorten your rental by returning your campervan earlier than originally booked, all moneys will be forfeited and no refund shall apply.

I want to keep my hire vehicle longer than I have got a booking for – Can I?

In case you would like to extend your rental, you must contact the hire company before the scheduled drop-off date. If an extension on the rental can be arranged for, any additional cost will have to be paid directly to the hire company [and not to SelfdriveOZ].

What happens if I return a vehicle late?

It is up to the hire company to decide what will happen, but you may be charged twice the published daily rental rate as a penalty, so it is best to return the vehicle on time and in line with your original booking.

Can I change the day and destination of drop-off during my hire?

If you wish to extend your hire, you must get authorisation first from hire company’s destination branch as an extension is subject to availability. Any extra cost of the rental will be charged to your credit card by your hire company. If you wish to change the destination of drop-off, you must also get authorisation first from the hire company’s destination branch. An additional charge will apply [differing from one hire company to another], any extra cost will be charged to your credit card by your hire company.

Do I have to pay for more than one driver?

Some campervan hire companies charge a fee for each nominated extra driver. Please refer to specific information applicable for each hire company presented on this website. Any extra charges that may apply are generally explained in the terms and conditions for each vehicle hire company. They also show up at the time of booking - so please begin the booking process for your selected vehicle and you will see a summary of all charges in the secure booking page before you are asked to enter any credit card information.

Do I have to pay cleaning charges?

Your daily rental charges include the cleaning of the hire vehicle at the end of your trip. In case the vehicle is being returned excessively dirty, hire companies reserve the right to charge an additional cleaning fee.

Do I need to clean the linen when I return my hire vehicle?

No, the hire vehicle suppliers will wash and dry clean all the linen, pillows, sleeping bags and towels to ensure they are clean for the next customer.

Do I get any discounts for hiring in Australia and New Zealand?

Some campervan hire companies operate in both, Australia and New Zealand. Consecutive campervan hires in Australia and New Zealand can be combined to qualify if the vehicle collection dates are within a 3-month period [or otherwise specified]. For all rentals to qualify, each booking needs to be made at the same time. Please enquire when you make a booking for a campervan holiday in either country.

Will I have to pay for traffic infringements?

The hirer is liable for all fines and penalties in relation to the driver's use of a hire vehicle or the vehicle itself incurred during the rental period. A hire company will forward to you any infringement or penalty notice and will in addition charge you an administration fee.

What is the Cost of Fuel?

Petrol in Australia comes in unleaded and leaded grades; and there is also diesel fuel. It is sold by the litre. Petrol and diesel fuel costs between AUD 1.60 and AUD 2.00 per litre but can be substantially higher, especially in remote and isolated outback areas [details subject to change at any time without prior notice].

Petrol in New Zealand comes in unleaded and leaded grades; and there is also diesel fuel. It is sold by the litre. Petrol and diesel fuel costs between NZD 1.80 and NZD 2.10 per litre but can be substantially higher, especially in remote areas of the South Island in particular [details subject to change at any time without prior notice]. A so-called “Diesel Excise” is payable by drivers of diesel vehicles; please refer to specific information applicable for each hire company presented on this website.

What is the currency?

Australian currency [AUD] is decimal with the dollar as the basic unit [100 cents equals one dollar]. Notes come in AUD 100, 50, 20, 10, and 5 denominations. Coins come in AUD 2, 1, 50c, 20c, 10c and 5c denominations. There are no longer any 1cent and 2 cent pieces in circulation so prices are rounded to the nearest 5c.

New Zealand’s currency [NZD] is decimal with the dollar as the basic unit [100 cents equals one dollar]. Notes come in NZD 100, 50, 20, 10, and 5 denominations. Coins come in NZD 2, 1, 50c, 20c, and 10c denominations. There are no longer any 5cent pieces in circulation.


There will be no refund of your deposit in the event that you cancel your vehicle hire booking, in addition to any fees imposed by the supplier, which may be up to 100% of monies due. Any cancellation fees that apply are additional to the forfeiture of the reservation deposit amount.

Should you need to cancel your booking or any of your rental components once these have been confirmed to you, you should immediately advise us in writing via email or facsimile transmission, or by registered mail. Your notice of cancellation will only be effective when it is received in writing by us and we have confirmed receipt of the cancellation back to you. If the cancellation is not received by us, the onus is on yourself to follow it up with us.

Cancellation charges set out below will be applicable from the day of cancellation, i.e. the day when we confirm to you receipt of the cancellation. These are percentages of the total costs payable by you excluding any processing fees according to the period before departure within which written notification of cancellation is received by us. Processing fees are non-refundable.

56 days or more before
vehicle pick-up date:
Loss of deposit
55 - 28 days: 40% of total cost plus loss of deposit
27 - 6 days: 80% of total cost plus loss of deposit
Less than 6 days
or on or after departure:
100% of total cost plus loss of deposit

Any additional charges passed on to us by suppliers of the services booked by you will be passed on to you and will be added to the above cancellation charges as payable by you.

We recommend that comprehensive travel insurance is taken out. Unforeseen circumstances that may require you to cancel the planned trip can be very costly, particularly when a cancellation is made shortly before commencement of the intended hire. Please ensure that you have sufficient travel insurance cover.

A word about insurance

What does the insurance cover and can I pay an additional premium to increase my insurance cover?

Insurance options offered vary from supplier to supplier as they can provide differing levels of insurance cover.

Some [not all] vehicle hire suppliers offer or include full cover insurance [or all-inclusive packages] in their hire rates. However, most companies give you the option of purchasing an insurance supplement to reduce or waive the excess and - in some cases - increase your level of cover.

To get definitive information of what insurance is covered for your chosen hire vehicle supplier, what extra insurance options exist and whether you can purchase it with us we recommend that you view the 'Insurance' section in each company's 'Important Rental Info' section provided on this site.

Should I take out additional insurance?

Your daily rental charges include a basic insurance cover, with an excess of up to AUD 7,500 in case of an accident. In order to reduce this excess, you can choose from various additional insurance options and we highly recommend you take the time to carefully read the details you will be provided with at the time of pick-up. It is advisable to at least upgrade to Collision Damage Waiver CDW [or similar].

Why should I choose the Comprehensive Insurance [VIP Cover]?

Unless you choose the VIP Protection Package you run the risk of being responsible for considerable costs associated with damage to, and/or theft of the rental vehicle. This applies even if the damage was not your fault.

For example, you are liable if someone runs into you or if a rock from a passing car hits your windscreen and causes damage. Also, you are responsible for the subsequent costs if you are unlucky to puncture a tyre.

VIP Protection gives you peace of mind in such circumstances as you will only be liable for up to AUD 250 [or otherwise specified] unless you breach the terms and conditions of the rental contract. – Details subject to each hire company’s specific Terms & Conditions.

Travel Tips

Where do I camp at night?

We recommend that you stay in a caravan park. Both Australia and New Zealand have an extensive network of quality caravan parks in all major tourist centres, most country towns and close to all the capital cities. The parks generally offer excellent recreation facilities, clean shower and toilet amenities, camper’s kitchen [communal kitchen], kiosk providing basic groceries, childrens’ playground; some even have swimming pools, tennis courts etc. Campervan sites have the provision for you to plug the vehicle into electricity. Generally, there is no need to book ahead; even in peak periods.

Most national parks have areas set aside for camping. There are often showers and toilets, barbeques and picnic areas and of course national parks provide a scenic and peaceful place to stay at overnight. However these areas generally do not have the facility for you to plug the vehicle into electricity. Because of local council laws you are not permitted to camp on the side of the road in the vicinity of towns. However outside the towns and in country areas it is generally allowed; SelfdriveOZ recommends you make enquiries locally before camping outside of caravan parks or other dedicated camping areas.

Following organisations offer a nation-wide network of quality caravan park facilities:

Big 4 Holiday Parks
Top Tourist Parks
Family Parks
[Australia and New Zealand]
Top 10 Holiday Parks
Kiwi Holiday Parks
Family Parks
[New Zealand and Australia]

“Spirit of Tasmania” ferry service Australia

“Spirit of Tasmania” operates between the Australian mainland [Melbourne] and Devonport in Tasmania, sailing from both locations most nights of the year. Feel your holiday start the moment you step on board, sit back, relax and watch the ocean pass you by! - Some hire companies allow you to take their vehicles on the “Spirit of Tasmania” ferry, but you will have to take it back to the mainland! There are a number of rental vehicle companies in Tasmania and because of the additional cost for the vehicle to travel on the boat, it may be your preferred option to enjoy the sea voyage as a passenger only and then pick-up your desired campervan in Tasmania. For full details, please refer to

“Interislander” ferry service New Zealand

The “Interislander” ferries are linking New Zealand's North and South Islands. The 92 km journey between Wellington [North] and Picton [South] takes only three hours, but it is often described as "one of the most beautiful ferry rides in the world". Interislander's three vessels give you a wide choice of sailing options, including a flexible schedule. Passengers can walk on or take a vehicle from one island to the other. During busy periods [generally the summer months plus school and public holiday periods], an earliest possible ferry booking is highly recommended. For full details, please refer to

Taking a vehicle to Kangaroo Island or Fraser Island

Please enquire with if you intend to take your hire vehicle to Kangaroo Island or Fraser Island [4WD’s only]]. Stringent restrictions apply and they differ from one hire company to another – please ask us for details.


Keep to the left at all times! Obey all traffic signs and signals and indicate your intention to turn or change lanes. Be sure to always carry your driver’s license when driving. It is recommended that you do your driving in the morning when you are fresh and alert. Take frequent breaks and avoid driving for hours on end; accidents happen when drivers suffer from ‘fatigue’.

Long Distance and Fatigue

Driving long distances in hot weather can cause fatigue and lead to accidents. STOP and REST at least every two hours, change drivers, take a walk, drink some water. If ever possible, avoid driving during the hottest parts of the day. Avoid driving immediately after large meals as they tend to relax and tire the driver. Stop and rest if you feel drowsy or tired. Get off the road and do not continue to drive. An open window can help avoid drowsiness by letting in fresh air but it does not replace a break during which you can stretch your legs, loosen up and get some refreshments.

Manoeuvring around Petrol stations and Caravan Parks

Take extra care when entering a petrol station or caravan park; your hire vehicle may be up to 3 m high and it is quite easy to hit an overhanging roof or the branch of a tree. When reversing in one of the large vehicles it is recommended that someone guides you to avoid hitting posts or other obstacles in caravan parks and parking areas. Please remember that any damage to the under-body or roof of your vehicle is not covered by any insurance.


It is a legal requirement in Australia and New Zealand, for all passengers and drivers to wear seatbelts. The driver is responsible for making sure all passengers wear seatbelts and will incur large fines if belts are not worn. In an accident, seatbelts save lives. Remember to always belt up!

Speed limited and wet conditions

Speed limits are fixed by law and tell you the maximum speed you are allowed to drive. Please note that the maximum speed limit in suburban areas is 50 km/h. Please adjust your driving and speed to the changing conditions of the road and weather. It takes longer for a vehicle to stop on wet roads as there will be a considerable loss of traction. Excessive speed is a major cause of road deaths. You must never drive at a speed or in a manner which is dangerous to the public or yourself and your travel companions.

Night Driving

Between sunset and sunrise you must drive with your headlights and rear lights on. During days with conditions of poor visibility, i.e. rain, snow, fog or haze, you must also drive with your lights on. In suburban areas you must use low beam. When using high beam on the open road, dip your headlights when an approaching vehicle is within 200 m or as soon as the other vehicle's lights are dipped.

Road Trains

Road trains can be up to 50 m long, 2.5 m wide and can be made up of up to three trailers. Take extra care when overtaking road trains, and to pass safely you should be able to see at least one kilometre of clear road ahead.

Remote Area Driving

When driving in remote areas always:
  • Tell a reliable person [police, local government representative etc.] where you are travelling and confirm arrival at your destination to prevent unnecessary searches being instigated.
  • Always carry and consume water to avoid dehydration. Allow 20 litres per person for two days' travelling and the expectation of breakdowns, and always top up the water container when water is available.
  • Ensure that you have enough fuel so that you are not stranded between refuelling points. Check opening times of roadhouses and other refuelling points.
  • In case of an emergency, stay with your vehicle and always stay in the shade. The vehicle offers shelter, and is easier to see from the air by rescuers. Never wander off and away from your vehicle!


Kangaroos, wandering cattle, sheep and other animals are major traffic hazards. When travelling outside major cities beware of animal activity and slow down. Animals walk onto roads without warning and tend to sleep on the road's warm surface. Drive particularly carefully at dawn and dusk as many of Australia’s animals are nocturnal and they are most active during those times of the day. They move from rest areas to feeding grounds, often by unexpectedly traversing roads or highways. Please be aware of this.


Avoid drinking alcohol before driving. Alcohol contributes to fatigue and even the smallest amount can affect your judgement. The legal blood alcohol concentration limit in Australia is 0.05, however the safest level is always zero.

Visa regulations, Customs and Quarantine - Australia

All persons entering Australia must present a valid passport. Additionally, all persons except holders of Australian or New Zealand passports, require a compulsory visa to enter the country.

A tourist visa can be applied for from your nearest Australian diplomatic mission [High Commission, Embassy or Consulate]. New Zealand passport holders are being issued with a respective travel authority on arrival in Australia. The “Electronic Travel Authority” [ETA], which can be issued on the spot by travel agents, has virtually replaced the traditional visa. This short-term tourist visa can also be applied for via the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade [DFAT] website, please refer to the following weblink: Please note that an ETA can not be obtained by all passport holders [refer to the weblink and click on “Am I eligible” to check whether you can apply online. Citizens of those countries not listed in the department’s website must lodge a visa application via one of the aforementioned diplomatic representations of Australia].

Travellers may bring some goods intended as gifts duty or tax-free into Australia. Adults [over 18 years of age] may also bring liquor and cigarettes or tobacco products duty/tax free. These goods must accompany you when you are clearing Customs. Also, tourists visiting Australia for a limited period, may bring most articles into the country duty/tax free, provided Customs is satisfied that they are for their own personal use and that they will be taken out of Australia on departure. For Customs duty/tax-free limits, please check this link Further information can also be viewed at

There is no limit on the amount of Australian and/or foreign cash that may be brought into or taken out of Australia. However, amounts of more than AUD 10,000, or equivalent in foreign currency, must be reported on arrival and departure; heavy fines can apply for breaches of this regulation.

On departure, overseas travellers may claim a refund of the Goods and Services Tax [GST] and Wine Equalisation Tax [WET] which they paid on goods bought in Australia. The refund on goods costing AUD 300 or more only applies to items carried as hand luggage. “Tourist Refund Scheme” [TRS] booths are located in the departure areas of international terminals after passport control, where travellers must show their passport, international boarding pass, tax invoice from the retailer and the goods. Customs officers process cash refunds and assist in completing non-cash payment options.

Australia is a country which is relatively pest-free; stringent quarantine regulations that are controlled and enforced by the Australia’s Quarantine and Inspection Service [AQIS] safeguard a very effective first line of defence against the invasion by pests and diseases which could devastate the agricultural, horticultural, forestry and even fishery sectors of the country. Incoming passengers

Because of Australia’s geographical isolation, a most unique range of plants and wildlife developed here which is virtually free from many of the pests and diseases that plague other countries.
Comprehensive information on what can and what can not be brought into Australia can be viewed at:

Due to the sheer size of Australia, there are even quarantine rules and regulations that apply within the country. Certain items [fruit, vegetable, dairy products, honey, eggs, agricultural products etc.] can not be taken from one state into another as this could potentially compromise the bio-safety of a region. Further information on interstate travel in Australia can be viewed at:

Visa regulations, Customs and Quarantine – New Zealand

Visitors from many countries can enter New Zealand without obtaining a visa prior to arrival [a full list of eligible nationalities can be viewed on ]. They are being issued a permit to stay in the country for up to 3 months; for a stay of up to 9 months, a visa has to be obtained prior to arriving in the country. British citizens and other British passport holders who produce evidence of the right to reside permanently in the UK can visit for up to six months without a visa. Australian citizens and people who hold a current Australian permanent residence visa or a current Australian resident return visa do not need a New Zealand visa to enter New Zealand.

A visitors visa can be applied for from your nearest New Zealand diplomatic mission [High Commission, Embassy or Consulate].